26.4.11

Crêpes filled with cottage cheese...

I am not a fan of breakfast food; I don't like milk, I am sick of eggs and I've never liked cereal.  On the rare occasion I might eat some flax seeds with soy milk (but can you really call that a meal?) otherwise I'm at a loss as far as what to eat in the morning.  Sure, I could have a bagel with cheddar and tomato, that's one thing, but I never seem to have those ingredients in the fridge for long enough.  Blue cheese on a sourdough baguette? It sure sounds nice.  But that's usually gone in a day.  So, if there is nothing left over from dinner from the night before my breakfast usually amounts to tea.

It's no wonder I can barely focus on the Canadian election.  If I don't figure things out soon enough, I'm going to have to sell my vote.  Anyone interested?  I'm kidding of course. But while I keep writing this food post, can some please explain to me why we're having elections as frequently as the Toronto Film Festival?  Oh never mind...

Let's get back to breakfast foods.  I did some research on other food options today just to see what other people eat.  I found muffins, frittatas and french toast but all of these sound like too much work. Granola? Forget it. I need a little bit of protein in my meal otherwise I'll sleep through the entire day.  In the end, I came up with three viable solutions, sandwiches, croissants and crêpes. Sandwiches I'll have to explore some more, croissants, (well now, this isn't France but we'll see, still no protein though), crêpes on the other hand I think I can handle.  I've seen, I've made, and I've conquered them before although, it's been a while. Plus you can fill them with anything. With this simple formula from Allrecipes I think my problems are solved. Here is what you will need:

1 cup of flour
2 eggs
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. water
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons of butter

You mix in the eggs with the flour slowly and then the rest of the ingredients. And that's it, that's all.  For the filling I just took some cottage cheese and added an egg yolk and some vanilla sugar.  If I had some extract I would have added that in as well.  I filled the crêpes with this mixture and folded it in half and then in a quarter. Once it was ready I put it back on the pan.  You have to heat up the cheese slightly.  For the topping, although you can't see it in the picture (as I ate quite a few of these) I made a sauce out of rose petal jam and some French pinot noir.  It turned out to be a great combination and it was even better the next day.  Next time, I might try these with some brie, or even something savory.  If you want some other creative ideas check out the menu at Crêpes a GoGo.  I think until eggs make a come back in my life this simple recipe will serve as a wonderful replacement.

No comments:

Post a Comment