13.11.11

Peter Zumthor's Kitchen and the Green Grapefruit

Today's post comes by way of the Japanese Trash blog which drew me to an image of Swiss architect Peter Zumthor's kitchen. As you can you see below it is sublime in its simplicity. I think if I had a kitchen like this I would probably not be able to work again. 


Mr. Zumthor who won the Pritzer Prize in 2009 resides in Haldenstein, Switzerland near Davos and the Austrian border. And much like any talented artist who shies away from the spotlight he is often described as "reclusive." He does not have a website and instead chooses to live in a small village in Switzerland. But in his most recent interview with the New York Times Mr. Zumthor talks about being commissioned to build a home for actor Tobey McGuire and his plans to revamp the Los Angeles County Museum. 

“I think the chance of finding beauty is higher if you don’t work on it directly,” Zumthor has said in describing his philosophy. “Beauty in architecture is driven by practicality. This is what you learn from studying the old townscapes of the Swiss farmers. If you do what you should, then at the end there is something, which you can’t explain maybe, but if you are lucky, it has to do with life.” (NYT)


The kitchen, much like an architect's studio, is a place of inspriation and I wanted nothing more than to cook after seeing this kitchen. But my quest for beauty found its way somewhere in between. And the closest thing I could find to the stunning greenery that almost eclipses Mr. Zumthor's kitchen was the green grapefruit that you see above. (I didn't even realize they existed.) So much for being a foodie. Given the lime-green colour, I was expecting something tart and bitter but this fruit tasted quite subtle. With a bit of honey on top it was just what I needed to inspire me to cook again even without the perfect kitchen and its accompanying beautiful view.

1 comment: