6.12.10

How to make the perfect cup of tea...

Okay, so the plan for today was to make, write and photograph my Pasta For the Fat Girl only I had forgotten to purchase fresh basil last time I was at the grocery store.  And today we were hit with what feels like six feet of snow.  When you live in Canada this isn't really surprising but trying to drive through this mess is a whole other story.  

So instead I've decided to divulge my recipe for the perfect cup of tea.  If you're a tea lover like me you know that making tea is an art form.  I personally love black tea with lemon and honey and I'm known to drink about 8 to ten cups a day.  I can't help it; it always makes me feel better.

This recipe is the same recipe that I once wrote a short story about when I was 12 or thirteen.  You could say that I'm a bit obsessed.  So here goes...

Recipe for Black Tea with Lemon and Honey:



You can use many brands but the one I prefer is Lipton black tea.

1.  Boil water and steep the tea bag for 30 seconds to one minute while pressing the tea bag with a spoon to the side of the cup to make the tea stronger.  This is important otherwise the tea will end up really diluted. 

2.  Then add two generous teaspoons of honey.  It is important to put the honey in first before the lemon or you will ruin the flavour.

3.  Next cut half a slice of lemon on a slant so that it releases some juice.  Make sure you remove the seeds or you'll end up with really bitter tea.

4.  Then cut another half slice or a quarter and then squeeze a little bit of it in your cup. Don't go overboard or you'll end up with a really tart tea (unless of course you like it this way).  And there you have it.

If you're not convinced try it for yourself and I'm sure you'll notice the difference.

TIP:  I forgot to add that if you don't like lemon or just don't happen to have it around for whatever reason, you can squeeze an orange or a tangerine.  But if you do, you have to cut a large chunk, almost a half-sized piece and squeeze it in.  It will be a little bit sweeter but a nice refreshing note for black tea.

P.S.  You can use fancier tea if you like and I've tried many brands, including Mariage Freres, but for convenience you can't beat Lipton.  I always keep these tea bags in my purse (just in case).  Because you just never know where you're going to end up and god forbid you go somewhere where they don't have tea.  That would be a nightmare.

No comments:

Post a Comment